Friday, December 21, 2007

school observations

My observations consisted of two very different high schools. The first was the high school I attended myself where I was able to observe in the art classroom. The teacher I interviewed went to Montclair as well, and graduated from Middletown South herself. It was great to see even though the art program at the school has little significance in the overall curriculum, she was excited about expanding the program and her work in general. Having spent most of my time in that room during my four years of school it was great to see the same close atmosphere that i knew and loved. The kids in the class were outgoing and excited in their work. I loved how as soon as the bell rang and the class filtered in she did not have to say much of anything before the students got right to work. There were all different levels in the room including many students with learning and behavioral problems working without the aid of their personal assistants or even the teacher. Throughout the day we talked about all aspects of her teaching from how she grades the work, lesson plans she has to hand in, instilling discipline to an open atmosphere, and the aspirations she has in creating a better arts program for the school. It was difficult but inspiring to see how positive she was about creating this atmosphere for the students and providing them with every opportunity she could. A few weeks after this observation I was able to got to Arts high school where I spent the day in the painting and drawing classroom. The classes consisted of two freshman and one junior class that were working in different areas. The teacher I worked with was in her retirement year and as much as she put an emphasis on how much she loved her job as a teacher, it was clear to see she was happy to go. We spent a lot of time discussing the problems of administration and it seems over the last couple of years some of the art teachers feel as though there is not as much emphasis on the atmosphere the school once had. She said it could be seen in her students and their work. I saw things that went along with her opinion, but those that contradicted as well. There was no doubt in how talented and unique the students in her class were. As an art major it would be a dream to work in a school such as this and dedicate my knowledge to teaching and learning from the students. I was amazed at the work that had been produced in the classroom and had so much fun discussing art and technique with the students during their lesson. The atmosphere of the classroom was amazing it was not a cramped high school class that i knew, but a room for discussion inquiry and exploration. I left the school with so much excitement and ambition. If i can instill such a program in other schools, bring them to understand how and what the arts can provide it would be a great change for schools and education.

No comments: